Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Artist Profile: John DaCosta




John DaCosta is a Charlotte-based comic artist who brought Tom Corbett, Space Cadet into the 21st century- sorta. See, Tom's story takes place in the future, but the last Tom stories were done in the 20th century in the late 50's and early 60's. Does that make it clear?
He also is launching a new web comic on his blog, http://imaginox.blogspot.com where the cover and two pages of the wedding special are up and ready for viewing.

John
said he will be at Monroe on Saturday the 26th. He looks forward to showing young people what blowing stuff up in outer space is like in the stories of Tom Corbett. You'll find that John has a quirky sense of humor (just check out the photo he sent us!), likes being around fans and comic creators and can work in either the digital or paper realm when it comes to his art! According to one interview, John used to draw Snoopy as a GI JOE! What could be more American than that?
So, without anymore delay, here is our little interview with John, along with some of his art from Tom Corbett, Space Cadet. Enjoy!

1) How long have you been involved in creating comics?
I've been drawing comics for 5 years, but cartooning most of my life.

2) Did you go to school to learn to be an artist, or were you self-taught? It's a combination of both- I studied art in some form every year I was in school, but I couldn't get the education I needed so I'd always draw with peers who would push me to be better.

3) What was your favorite cartoon character as a kid? Comic book character? How about now?
As a kid- Snake Eyes from GI Joe. who doesn't love a ninja who can't talk. Nowadays- there's a few cartoons I watch mostly Clone Wars and Generator Rex has been interesting, but I also like the new Iron Man cartoon.


4) What was it like to bring a 1950's icon like Tom Corbett back into comics? What was your biggest concern- keeping the technology edgy or the characters contemporary?
I did my homework and watched clips of the old episodes and did a lot of searching online. It was intimidating at first, but I tried to make it my own and use a fun cartooney style to bring him to life.

5) What other projects have you been on? What are you working on now?
I've done a handful of pinups, short stories but this is probably the biggest piece of work I've done. Right now I'm developing my own web comic for fun @ imaginox.blogspot.com if anyone is interested in checking it out.

6) You are a member of Sketch Charlotte. Do you find it surprising that so many people are into creating their own comic or cartoon art?
No, not at all- I believe that everyone has a story to tell- it's a matter of finding the proper outlet to tell it or live it out.

7) What has been your worst/ best/ weirdest convention experience?
Best experience at a con- was having a ton of creators over for a huge cook out- I've done that a few times and it's always a good experience. Weirdest- is drawing portraits of people in Next Generation costumes....

8) Outside of comics, what else do you do?
I play the Bass and electric guitar at our church, hang out with the family and I also spend a lot of time wood working.

9) Is the future of comics in good shape or bad shape?
I think aspects are in good shape- the digital age will be very interesting to see how things progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment